Friday, March 4, 2016

Week 4/ Challenges



This week, I am experiencing a bit of a slump as I struggle to solidify an experiment for my project. A few challenges have come up in the last two weeks of trial testing, and I’m still working to find a way to resolve them. For example, the v-loc sutures I have been testing are difficult to secure around the hooks of the tensile strength machine. To give you guys a better idea, v-loc sutures look a bit like this up-close:


Because it is less flexible and designed to not require any knot tying (the barbs hold the suture in place), I have been struggling to wrap it around the hooks of the machine.  

These sutures are also significantly shorter than normal sutures. While typical sutures are around 45 cm (and thus, multiple trials can be run using one strand), v-loc sutures are only 15 cm in length. So, even if the v-loc suture can be successfully tied (or looped multiple times) around the hooks, there can only be one trial per strand. In the face of these problems, I may have to revise my experiment next week, and instead focus on the efficiency of each type of suture. However, I still plan to test the tensile strength of sutures. Instead of comparing v-loc and regular sutures, I might have to do a comparative analysis based on the size (1-0 vs. 3-0) and composition of suture (monofilament vs. multifilament).

Next, to cover the draining of the abscess that was mentioned in my previous posts:
An abscess is basically a collection of pus that has built up in the body. To drain it, doctors usually pack it with gauze for 1-2 days and simply wait. For larger/deeper abscesses, a draining tube is put in. In the operation I observed, Dr. Truong used a different method known as ‘Incision and Loop Drainage’. This procedure eliminates the need for packing and makes postoperative care easier.



In terms of observing surgeries, this week I watched the removal of a port. A chest port, or port-a-cath, is a device that is inserted in the body to eliminate the need to be stuck with a needle every time a patient requires IV treatment (for chemotherapy, fluid resuscitation, drawing blood, etc.) There are two parts to the device, the ‘port’ and the ‘catheter’. A catheter is a tube made of soft plastic. This is placed directly into the vein and leads to the port, a metal device that is placed under the patient’s skin. When treatment is needed, a special needle is poked to where the port is in order to access the vein. This device is especially useful for those with small or damaged veins. It was a quick, but really cool procedure! Find out more here.

That was about it for my week. See you next time!

Vanessa

8 comments:

  1. Testing tensile strength of a short, inflexible suture does seem like it would be challenging. But I think you have a good idea for your modified experiment. How do you plan to test the efficiency of the sutures?

    It's great that you mention the port-a-cath removal. I've actually come across this in my own research of TPN/IV nutrition, and I also think it's an interesting procedure. How cool to see it in the OR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was planning on testing how quickly surgeons could finish closing an incision using regular vs. v-loc sutures. This experiment may be too similar to Roshan's, however (his was laparoscopic but its the same idea). Instead in the next two weeks I will finish up my tensile strength tests. If I have enough time, testing efficiency will be incorporated into my project as well.

      It's so cool to see our two projects intersect. Are port-a-caths used often for TPN?

      Delete
  2. I've never been too interested in medical affairs, but even I find your whole project very exciting! I hope you don't have to modify your experiment too much to adapt to the new situation. Does watching the surgeries effect you? Because I don't think I'd have the stomach to watch one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Luke!!! In terms of watching surgeries, the ones I have seen so far were mostly laparoscopic, and didn't affect me very much because there was very little blood/the incisions were very small, etc. I imagine that if I saw some more extreme ones it would be difficult to stomach xD

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the v-loc sutures; do you foresee more obstacles like this in your future research? Can't wait to see future posts with more surgeries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope not. I'll be wrapping up my tests next week and will share my results in my Wk 6 post. Thanks Alex!

      Delete
  4. Wow, Vanessa, my stomach gets queasy even thinking about abscess and port removals. Do you ever experience any physical or emotional reactions?

    Also, have you discussed your wrap-around issues with the nursing staff or others who may frequently have the same issue? I am sure that they will greatly appreciate any advances that you make! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Mitrovich! I found that while observing at the beginning, the smell of the cautery really affected me. After watching a couple of surgeries now, it doesn't seem to have as much of an impact as before. Still, when I observed the 3 hr procedure, it was very physically exhausting to stand in one spot for so long.

      My issue with the v-loc is a pretty unusual one as it stems from my need to tie a knot with it..usually the suture remains in place in the tissue, and there is no need to even tie a knot at the end! (this is b/c of the microscopic barbs). Maybe I'll read into how Covidien measured the sutures' tensile strength? Thanks for your great input!

      Delete